Another Eastern Iowa Bald Eagle Dies From Poisoning
Another bald eagle, the U.S. National Emblem, has died in eastern Iowa. It's the victim of a type of poisoning that experts say could be prevented.
The Black Hawk Wildlife Rehabilitation Project (BHWRP) determined the bird died from lead poisoning. The level of lead in the bird's system was 6.0. Terese Evans of BHWRP tells KWWL "anything above 0.2 is considered toxic."
It was found in Fayette County in mid-February. Evans said,
It had droopy wings, it would not fly when approached... dogs were even bothering it and it wouldn't fly away."
Treatments followed, and the bird appeared to rally but died after about a week-and-a-half. It's the second eastern Iowa bald eagle to die from toxic lead levels this winter. Lead poisoning. How is it happening, and why does Evans say these type of bald eagle deaths are preventable?
Evans says when bald eagles eat dead animals that have been shot, therein lies the problem. She claims that if hunters didn't use lead bullets, these eagles wouldn't be dying. She also says it's not just bald eagles, but that more than 50 animals are also affected by lead poisoning.
It's not just eastern Iowa, either. Siouxland Proud reports four bald eagles have been rescued in the last two weeks and are receiving treatment. They're suffering from lead poisoning. Watching what lead poisoning did to this bald eagle makes my heart hurt.
Do you hunt or know someone who does that uses lead bullets? Please consider making a change. You just might save the life of a bald eagle or one of more than 50 other animals. You can learn more about available ammunition options at Hunting with Non-Lead.