Here’s How to Keep Your Christmas Tree Alive All Season
If you plan on getting a live Christmas tree this weekend, you'll want to follow these tips to keep it looking lively for the entire month of December.
- Make sure the cut is fresh. Cut a quarter inch off the bottom. Sap starts sealing the cut within hours, making it hard to soak up water.
- Soak the tree overnight. Let the tree soak in a big bucket of water overnight outside. Then the next day, hose it down, let it dry and bring it inside.
- Pick a good spot in your house. You'll want to keep your tree away from any sources of heat or direct sunlight. Heat will dry out the branches and create a fire hazard.
- Get the right stand. Use a base that can hold one quart of water per inch of stem diameter.
- Water it daily. Refill the base with fresh water every single day.
Using additives isn't necessary if you follow these tips. Just watering your tree properly will get it to last for at least four weeks.
Read more at Penn State University.