Iowa Suburb Listed as One of “The Best Christmas Towns in America”
Christmas is fast approaching. Small towns across Iowa have shimmied on their ugly sweaters, hung lights, and put up their trees. There's something ~magical~ about Christmas in tiny towns.
The big cities can't be left out, even if the rest of the country considers this suburb of Des Moines a 'small town.'
Valley Junction, which can be found between Des Moines and West Des Moines, earned a spot on a list put together by Reader's Digest of "The Best Christmas Towns in America You Should Visit at Least Once."
Listed as best for a Midwest getaway, here's what else the site has to say about Valley Junction:
For four Thursday evenings during the season, the historic railroad town in the West Des Moines area celebrates with Jingle in the Junction. The streets are lined with over 125,000 twinkling lights, and visitors can enjoy horse-drawn carriage rides, Santa, and caroling. Shop for gifts in the 150 unique stores, antique shops, and other businesses downtown. It’ll make you feel as if you’re back in your own hometown.
For Jingle in the Junction, many of the city's shops extend their hours for the holiday festivities.
According to the city website, this is what is offered on Thursday nights:
- 5:00-9:00pm: Many shops with extended hours, sales, and mini events
- 6:00-8:00pm: Santa and Mrs. Claus will be making an appearance each night at the Historic Valley Junction Foundation office next to the Theatrical Shop
- 5:30-8:30pm: Jump back on the bandwagon with free horse drawn trolley rides in Railroad Park
- 5:30-8:30pm: Warm up with fire performances by Cirque Wonderland every half hour at 5th & Maple
- 5:00-9:00pm: Selfie Station – Send holiday cheer to friends far and near and celebrate your support of local small businesses next to Coopers on 5th
- 5:00-9:00pm: Witness ice carvings by the talented Bill Gorish next to Memory Lane
- Top hat carolers and more musicians will keep you entertained.
- Can’t make it to see Santa in person? Not a problem! We’re sending a daily reindeer to the North Pole with your LETTERS TO SANTA