What’s the #1 Best Way to Make a Grilled Cheese?
Happy National Grilled Cheese Day!
We're pretty divided as a country right now, but there's one thing that almost everybody agrees on: grilled cheese is AWESOME. According to a survey by YouGovAmerica, only 4% of people say they don't like them. In fact, grilled cheese is the 5th most popular American food behind French fries, hamburgers, mashed potatoes, and cheeseburgers!
One of the first things I ever learned to cook was a grilled cheese sandwich, so it has a special place in my heart (and stomach). My recipe has gradually evolved and improved over the years, and now I'm pretty sure I've mastered the art of the grilled cheese. Here's my recipe:
- Butter one side of two slices of fresh jalapeno cheddar bread (I get mine from Hy-Vee)
- Put a layer of cream cheese on the inside of one of the bread slices (or goat cheese if you have it!)
- Sprinkle feta cheese crumbles on the cream cheese
- Add one slice of Kraft American Cheese and one slice of pepperjack cheese
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of the butter on both slices of bread before adding it to the pan
- Cook until golden brown
When I'm craving a grilled cheese sandwich but I don't feel like cooking one myself, I'll occasionally order one from a local restaurant. Here are a few of my favorites:
Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese from Goldfinch Tap + Eatery in Marion
Grilled Cheese from Tribute Eatery & Bar in Coralville
Pizza Grilled Cheese from Cliff's Dive Bar in Cedar Rapids
Grilled Cheese from The Map Room in Cedar Rapids
What's your go-to grilled cheese recipe? Share yours in the comments!