New Donutland in Cedar Rapids Will Mark Return to Longtime Home
Who says you can't go back in time?
Donutland currently has one standalone restaurant in Cedar Rapids. It's pictured below at 4307 Center Point Road N.E. It celebrated a half-century at that location last year. While hard to believe, it's the only standalone Donutland that Cedar Rapids has had since 2005. After nearly two decades, that's about to change.
A building that housed a Cedar Rapids Donutland for 38 years, from 1967 to 2005, will soon return to its roots. That beautiful orange-colored awning, and construction work inside, are a big hint of changes already underway at 2606 Williams Blvd SW. Yes, the last Cedar Rapids Donutland to close is reopening, 17 years later!
The Cedar Rapids City Assessor's site shows several businesses have been at that location since 2005. There was Cranky Hank's Pizza before it moved to Lindale Mall. That restaurant recently opened in Shellsburg. The location was also a used car dealership and then a massage parlor. Late last year, permits were issued for the interior remodel of the building for Donutland.
Last spring, Peter Looney, the author of the book Lost Cedar Rapids, posted the below history of Donutland in the metro area. His post came after the building that housed the city's first Donutland was torn down in the 4000 block of 1st Ave NE.
- In 1964 in Rockford, IL, the first one opened, Donutland #1.
- In 1965, 4045 1st Ave NE on the edge of the big Ford lot opened, it was Donutland #2 and closed in 1987.
- In 1967, the 2606 Williams Blvd SW opened, closing in 2005.
- In 1971, the 4307 Center Point Road NE one opened, and is still open today!
- In 1978, the 2329 Mt Vernon Road one opened, closing in 2000.
- In 1978, the Marion one also opened, closing in 2004.
- In 1983, the downtown one at 113 1st Ave SE opened, closing in 1992.
- In 2019, Lu's Deli at 1010 3rd St SE became an outlet for Donutland donuts. (*Note: Press Coffee Company in Iowa City and Uptown Coffee Company in Marion now also sell Donutland donuts)
I know what you're wondering... when will Donutland open on Williams Blvd. again? I reached out to the existing location on Center Point Road about the timeline, but haven't heard back yet. Rest assured, we'll let you know. As you can see from the picture above, there's a lot to do. It will be a while. However, Donutland IS coming back to Cedar Rapids' west side. I have no doubt they will be greeted with great enthusiasm and hungry customers.