Operation BBQ Relief Serving Free Food in Cedar Rapids This Week
If you're still without power here in Cedar Rapids, or you're just in need of a hot meal, Operation BBQ Relief is here to help!
According to the official GoFundMe page for 'Feeding Cedar Rapids':
"Operation BBQ Relief is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that supports communities following natural disasters with hot barbeque meals to those in need and on the front lines."
KCRG reports that the organization officially arrived in Cedar Rapids on Saturday, "with the support of several Corridor area restaurants, the city of Cedar Rapids, and the Zach Johnson Foundation." They will serve hot meals again today from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. and again from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., with about 500 meals available for each meal at each location. Here are the spots that you can grab lunch and/or dinner today:
- Downtown Public Library - 450 5th Avenue SE
- Grant Elementary School - 254 Outlook Drive SW
- Jane Boyd Community House - 943 14th Ave SE
- Jefferson School - 1243 20th Street SW
- Johnson STEAM Academy - 355 18th Street SE
- Ladd Library - 3750 Williams Blvd SW
- Nixon Elementary School - 200 Nixon Drive, Hiawatha
- NW Recreation Center - 1340 11th Street NW
- Polk Alternative Education Center - 1500 B Avenue NE
- Roosevelt Middle School - 300 13th Street NW
- Taylor Elementary School - 720 7th Avenue SW
Jay Collins, the OBR Chief of Programs, told me via email:
"Our policy is to support the community as long as the disaster need exists, once the power is back and businesses are operating again (after the grocery and restaurant food cycle kicks back in) we generally begin our retrograde operations. We currently are prepped for another 5-7 days, but will remain flexible as to the community needs (if needed longer). I believe we will have a better picture of duration after today's meals. Bottom Line is that we will not leave your community without needed support."
If you'd like to donate to Operation BBQ Relief during their stop here in Cedar Rapids, you can check out the GoFundMe page HERE!