The topic of flood protection is never far from a Cedar Rapidian's mind. Yesterday, a rep with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers delivered some good news on the proposed flood wall for the city.

Major General Scott Spellmon testified in front of the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee Wednesday. Iowa Representative Abby Finkenauer asked Spellmon about the status of the Cedar Rapids flood protection project. He said that the effort is now fully funded with initial efforts getting underway late in 2019.

So far, three task orders have been issued for the design of the flood wall and two construction contracts should be issued by the end of the year. Finkenauer said in a statement that the flood wall is a "federal commitment made to the people of Eastern Iowa. Iowans' livelihoods are quite literally on the line and they are tired of the can getting kicked down the road." 

The overall flood risk management will be done in steps, with the estimated completion sometime in fiscal 2023.

 

[via KCRG]