Cedar Rapids is Adjusting Its Solid Waste & Recycling Procedures
On Friday, the City of Cedar Rapids announced that there would be some changes regarding garbage and recycling pickup within the city. The Solid Waste and Recycling Division has altered some of its collection procedures to reduce the spread of coronavirus.
Let's start with some of the new guidelines involving garbage collection. According to the official Facebook post:
- Place extra garbage bags with the garbage sticker visible to the driver on top of your gray GARBY cart.
- Hold onto any extra garbage bags that don’t fit on top of your GARBY cart until the next collection period.
- Tip: Use small bags rather than full-sized so more garbage fits in your GARBY cart.
Here's what you need to know about recycling collection:
- Only recycling inside your blue CURBY cart will be collected. No extra recycling boxes for now.
- Tip: Flatten items to fit more in.
- Glass collection is suspended. Hold onto glass until collection resumes.
Additionally, the collection of yard waste with the YARDY bin will continue, but bulky item/special haul collection is going to be suspended temporarily.
For more information, visit the City of Cedar Rapids Iowa Government Facebook page HERE.