Eastern Iowa Drive-In Theatre Opening for 70th Season This Weekend
Last weekend, the Blue Grass Drive-In (774 West Mayne Street) opened to patrons for the first time since last fall. This weekend, another drive-in is set to open the gates with more hoping to open soon.
The 61 Drive-In Theatre near Maquoketa (1228 Highway 61 in Delmar, Iowa) is set to open this weekend. It will be the theatre's 70th season! They'll be showing Disney and Pixar's 'Onward' and 'The Call of the Wild,' starring Harrison Ford. The box office will open at 7 p.m. both Friday and Saturday, May 15 and 16, with the double-feature beginning each evening at 8:30 p.m., according to their Facebook page.
Due to COVID-19, there will be a number of new restrictions in place at 61 Drive-In. They are:
- Baseball, basketball, sandbox, swingset, tether balls, train, and volleyball will all be closed.
- A 6-foot distance between all parked vehicles
- If you get out of your vehicle, you must sit directly in front of it. Otherwise, you are required to stay in your vehicle during the movie.
- No visiting away from the vehicle you came in.
- Only one customer will be allowed in the concession stand at a time. There will be markers to maintain safe social distancing in the line.
- Masks are encouraged
The Valle Drive-In Theatre in Newton (4074 Highway F48 W) tells me they are "working on plans to open hopefully by the first of June."
Finally, the Superior Drive-In in Spirit Lake (1482 300th Avenue), hasn't officially announced opening plans. A post on their Facebook page last Wednesday, May 6 said: "we just received word, that we will be able to open up on May 15th, so get ready!" The theatre's voicemail hasn't been updated since last season ended and a message hasn't been returned as of this writing.