Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin Animal Shelters Participating in ‘Empty the Shelter’ Events
As our nation continues to grapple with the aftermath of the pandemic, the consequences have extended to our four-legged companions and the people that foolishly took them in. Animal shelters across the country are experiencing a crisis of unprecedented proportions, marked by increased owner surrenders and a surge in stray intakes. The sobering result is a spike in post-pandemic euthanasia rates, painting a sad & desperate picture for the countless animals in need of loving homes. Good news though, amidst the adversity, hope shines through with BISSELL Pet Foundation's Fall National "Empty the Shelters" reduced-fee adoption event.
The Shelter Crisis Is A Huge Challenge; But You Can Help!
Animal shelters serve as the last refuge for pets in dire need, but in recent times, their capacity to provide sanctuary has been stretched thin. According to data from the Shelter Animals Count database, animal intakes at both public and private shelters are expected to reach a three-year high this year. Sadly, adoptions and returns to owners are struggling to keep pace with this alarming trend. The result is a stark increase in euthanasia rates, a heartbreaking outcome for pets deserving of a second chance at life.
Recognizing the urgency of this situation, BISSELL Pet Foundation has again launched its Fall National "Empty the Shelters" reduced-fee adoption event. From October 1st to October 15th, this nationwide initiative aims to alleviate the strain on shelters and give deserving pets a chance to find their forever homes.
The impact of "Empty the Shelters" is nothing short of remarkable. Since its inception in 2016, this event has helped nearly 190,000 pets across the United States and Canada find loving families. The numbers are equally impressive during each quarterly national event, with an average of 1,225 pets finding new homes every day.
Reduced Adoption Fees: A Lifeline for Shelter Pets
During "Empty the Shelters," BISSELL Pet Foundation sponsors reduced adoption fees, allowing shelters to charge a nominal fee of $50 or less for adopting a pet. This fee covers essential services such as spaying/neutering and vaccinations, making it easier for families to open their hearts and homes to a new furry friend.
It's A Nationwide Effort; But Where Can I Help Locally?
"Empty the Shelters" is a nationwide event, with over 345 participating organizations across 42 states. The interactive map provided on the BISSELL Pet Foundation website makes it easy for potential adopters to find the nearest participating shelter and confirm event details.
Iowa's Participating Shelters:
- Boone Area Humane Society; Boone
- Cedar Valley Humane Society; Cedar Rapids
- Des Moines County Humane Society; Burlington
- Humane Society Of Scott County; Davenport
Illinois Participating Shelters:
- Animal House Shelter; Huntley
- Friends of Chicago Animal Care and Control; Chicago
- Gateway Pet Guardians; East St. Louis
- Heartland Animal Shelter; Wheeling
- Helping Strays Of Monroe County; Columbia
- Humane Society of Central Illinois; Normal
- Metro East Humane Society; Edwardsville
- Orphans of the Storm; Riverwoods
- Partners For Pets Humane Society; Troy
- Peoria County Animal Protection Services; Peoria
- Quincy Humane Society; Quincy
- South Suburban Humane Society; Matteson
- St Clair County Animal Adoption Center; Belleville
- Vermilion County Department of Animal Regulation and Shelter; Danville
- Winnebago County Animal Services; Rockford
Wisconsin Participating Shelters:
- Forest County Humane Society; Crandon
- Green County Humane Society; Monroe
- Humane Society of Burnett County, Inc.; Webster
- Humane Society Of Southern Wisconsin; Janesville
To learn more about "Empty the Shelters," find participating shelters, and access additional information, please visit their website. Help make a positive impact and get pets from shelter kennels to the comfort of loving homes, where they truly belong. Check out all these beautiful pets that have been saved by people just like you.