Iowa Ranks As 3rd Best State For Women
It is March and the month of March is Women's History Month. That got us and WalletHub wondering, which states are the best and worst for women. Spoiler alert, Iowa is in the top 5.
Women currently hold 23.7% of the seats in Congress even though women make up 51% of the U.S. population. WalletHub recently released it's 2020’s Best & Worst States for Women to show which states are the best and worst for women. Iowa ranks as the 3rd best state for women among all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
To identify the most women-friendly states, WalletHub looked at different data including median earnings for female workers, women’s preventive health care, female homicide rates and more.
Woman-Friendliness of Iowa:
- 10th – Median Earnings for Female Workers (Adjusted for Cost of Living)
- 1st – Unemployment Rate for Women
- 16th – Share of Women in Poverty
- 5th – High School Graduation Rate for Women
- 19th – Share of Women Who Voted in 2016 Presidential Election
- 7th – Female Uninsured Rate
- 15th – Women’s Life Expectancy at Birth
- 18th – Quality of Women’s Hospitals
- 16th – Women’s Preventive Health Care
Massachusetts was found to be the best state for women. Louisiana came in dead last as the worst state for women. Illinois is ranked as the 29th best state for women, or 22nd worst state for women. However you want to look at it.
Congrats to Iowa on being the 3rd best state for women!