Say Thank You to Hospitalized Veterans with KHAK’s Valentines for Vets
It's mid-January and that means it's time to begin. Time for you to, hopefully, get to work making homemade valentines and for us to start collecting them.
Unfortunately, this will be the second straight year that health conditions in the U.S. will prevent the KHAK airstaff from personally handing out the valentines to hospitalized veterans. However, the V.A. Hospital in Iowa City is thrilled for you to make them again this year and staff and volunteers will make sure they get into the hands of deserving veterans who could use a smile. Valentines For Vets is one of the most important things we do each year but you are the ones that make it all possible.
Whether it's a school, your family, a church group, or you and your co-workers, anyone and everyone is encouraged to make homemade valentines. We'll need to have them at the KHAK studios by the end of the business day on Tuesday, February 8.
There are a few important things to remember:
- Please DON'T use glitter! There's a two-fold reason to not use glitter. Not only can it be a health hazard at the hospital it also makes a mess. If a card has glitter, it can't be given to a patient and has to be thrown away, so please don't use it!
- Please do not include candy as many patients aren't allowed to eat it. We don't want to tempt them or put them at risk.
- We also ask that only your first or last name (not both) be written on the valentines. Don't hesitate to include the name of your organization.
When your valentines are complete they can be dropped off.
Deadline Tuesday, February 8 (5 p.m.) for drop-off:
- Fleet Farm: 4650 Cross Pointe Blvd NE in Cedar Rapids
- Wild Hogs Saloon & Eatery in Walford (350 Commercial Drive)
- KHAK studios: 425 2nd St. SE (4th floor) in Cedar Rapids
You can also mail them to us (please make sure they arrive by February 8):
KHAK Valentines For Vets
425 2nd St. S.E.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Have fun and be creative. Thanks in advance for the incredible response to this campaign each and every year!