Massive Kite Display + More Headline North Liberty Free “Summer Slate” Events
After announcing that their annual "Blues and BBQ" festivities would be canceled in 2021, the city of North Liberty didn't want the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic to wipe out an entire summer of fun for its residents. They've devised a schedule of free events that are sure to offer something for everyone.
"Summer Slate" is a combination of online, in-person, and small group events.
What kind of events will they offer at Summer Slate?
The summer will feature everything from drive-in movies to concerts in the park, inflatables, an acrobatic performance, fireworks, a playground crawl, and much more. In all, some three dozen events are scheduled through September. Some highlighted events include:
- "Make-it Mondays" with to-go activities for kids, already underway Mondays at the North Liberty Community Center.
- May 12: North Liberty Trivia Night (virtual)
- May 16: Mega Kites, MASSIVE Kite Display at Centennial Park (free with no reservation needed)
- May 28: The first "Movie on the Lawn" of the season, free with no reservation needed featuring "Big Hero 6". Movies are shown on the Ranshaw House Lawn at 515 W. Penn St. opening at 8 p.m., show starts at 8:45.
- June 5: Free fishing weekend
- June 12 and July 17: Concert in the Park: an evening of good company and good music, curated by The Englert Theatre.
- June 18 and July 16: Drive-in movie night, different from the above "Movie on the Lawn", in the Colony Pumpkin Patch lot
What are the safety protocols?
There are many events and activities that run all summer, so as the national and state guidance surrounding the safety protocols of the pandemic change, so will the mitigation procedures for "Summer Slate". Currently, anyone 2 and older will be expected to wear a face-covering (including vendors, volunteers, and staff) and maintain 6 feet of social distancing.
All events are free, but some might require a reservation
Any events that require a free reservation will be noted with a link on the "Summer Slate" website at the beginning of each month. Click here for details.
LOOK: See the iconic cars that debuted the year you were born