What Makes Work Easier for Iowans at the Holidays?
I know it's happening in our office in a huge way this week. SO many people working extra-hard just to get a day or two off for the holiday. Sometimes you wonder if it's worth it. It totally is, and a new survey has proven it.
Randstad published results of a survey regarding "what employees love most about holidays in the workplace". Here are the results.
- Gift exchange (9%): Apparently, this is the last thing on anyone's mind at the office at the holidays, although "philanthropic initiatives" were mentioned but not ranked. Either our co-workers are just that easy to find gifts for, or we really don't care?
- Cookie exchange (11%) and employee potluck (22%): Hello? More work on your part! Apparently, a lot of people don't like the co-workers enough (or can't cook or bake...cough) well enough to put forth that kind of effort.
- Holiday parties (33%) and bonuses given by the company (34%): People love it when they feel the company is "giving back" for their hard work and effort.
- Happier co-workers (41%): That is, when they're not on a rampage trying to complete all the extra work they have to do in a shorter amount of time. When co-workers are nicer to each other, it's easier to do the work that needs to be done.
- Holiday spirit (54%): This is a pretty generic category but you get the gist. Anytime the holiday spirit is in the air, it can make the work environment better. Just ask my co-workers how much nicer I've been since Christmas music started! Wait...don't do that...
- Time off (70%): The best thing about holiday time at the office? An overwhelming 70% say it's getting time off.
Hard to argue with that. Have a great week as you prepare to hopefully get some downtime with your family and friends. Happy Thanksgiving!